Molasses Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies – perfectly soft & chewy!
Hi friends! How are you? Just when we had been given several weeks of spring-like temps here in North Idaho, winter came back with a vengeance. Single digits are no fun. But that means I have been keeping warm by baking like crazy.
One recipe I have already made several times in the last week is this one for Molasses Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. The family is split on a favorite cookie here. Some love oatmeal raisin & others love chocolate chip. So we often compromise with this combo.
The not-so-secret ingredient in these is the molasses. Adding all that depth with molasses gives these cookies something that is irresistible. That thick liquid sugar syrup is an ingredient that I add to so many recipes & this particular one demands it. It really helps to keep the cookies soft & chewy. That really is the best kind of oatmeal cookie, don’t you agree? Which is why it is so KEY with these!
If you love oatmeal cookies, especially with a little chocolate in the mix- you will fall in love with these cookies. Best part- they don’t require any chill time. So when that craving strikes – you can satisfy it quickly with a batch of these. Enjoy!
Molasses Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- ½ cup butter- room temp
- ½ cup brown sugar - packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsulphured molasses
- 1 egg - room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp table salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup quick oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts- opt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment & set aside
- Beat together butter & both sugars in a large bowl until light & fluffy.
- Add in molasses, egg & vanilla.
- Mix in baking powder, baking soda, salt & cinnamon.
- Slowly stir in oats, both flours, nuts & chocolate chips.
- Scoop tablespoon size portions of dough onto prepared cookie sheets. Flatten slightly.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool on the pan 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Looking for more of our favorite cookie recipes?
Have a delicious day!