Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins – quick & easy breakfast recipe for the whole family.
Hi friends! How are you? Happy New Year! Are you ready to kick 2018 off right? I love to spend the first part of the new year making some of our family favorite recipes that have been lost in the shuffle throughout the year. For me, there is no better way to start my day than with some light & refreshing lemon recipes like these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. Something about lemon in the winter months really helps bring new energy & a renewed feeling of optimism. Perfect for a new year, right? Because it’s all about letting go of the heavy stuff that weighs us down & that includes the things we eat. We love these muffins for that reason AND because they come together quickly & are oh so tasty.
Sometimes I like to add a lemony glaze over the top of these. But most of the time they are just perfect right out of the oven when they are just a little bit warm still. Paired with a cup of yogurt or a smoothie- you have yourself one awesome breakfast. My kids love having these because they are on the go more than ever & these help them stay nourished without taking a lot of time. Muffins are such a great grab-n-go food & we all love them!
This recipe makes one dozen, so a lot of times I will double or triple it so we have breakfast already made to last through the week. It doesn’t take me any longer to whip them up & then I don’t have to think about breakfast all week long. So perfect for these hectic weekday mornings.
Best bread recipes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp butter-room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest- opt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line a 12-count muffin pan with paper liners & set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds, set aside.
- Beat the butter on high speed until creamy, then add sugar & beat together.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest & sour cream, mix just to combine.
- Fold in lemon juice.
- Add flour mixture & mix until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, filling ¾ full.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425F degrees, lower the oven temperature to 350F degrees & bake 10-15 minutes more or until a toothpick test comes out clean.
Looking for more of our favorite breakfast recipes??
Lemon Poppy Seed Mini Loaf Cakes
Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts w/ Lemon Blueberry Glaze
Wishing you all a delicious day!