With Thanksgiving around the corner it is time to start thinking about those delicious homemade pie recipes. My favorite part of the Thanksgiving Dinner has to be the delicious desserts! This Coconut Cream Pie and Pie Crust Recipe that JosieJones & Co. shared with us years ago is delicious so we had to bring it back and share it with you all!
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 pie crust, baked
- 3 cups milk
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup grated coconut,
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon all natural coconut extract or coconut flavoring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- whipped cream : ¾ cup heavy cream, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, bring the milk almost to a boil. Meanwhile, whisk sugar and egg yolks in a large glass bowl until pale yellow, smooth, and falling in ribbons. Whisk in corn starch until smooth.
- Whisk in hot milk, a half cup at a time until mixture is warm to the touch. Pour entire mixture back into the saucepan and whisk constantly until pudding starts to get thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add in coconut, vanilla, coconut extract, and butter.
- Pour into prepared pie shell. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place whipped cream in a large pastry bag fitted with a star tip and decorate.
- Whipped Cream: Beat all ingredients together until stiff peaks form. Do not over beat.
Homemade Pie Crust
- 1 Cup all purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter cut in pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice cold water ( all ice removed)
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add in butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Distribute the water over the mixture and pulse until the water is well-distributed and the mixture holds together like dry clay.
- Dump mixture onto a floured board, knead a time or two, form into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Pound dough with a rolling pin a few times to soften the butter. On a well floured board, roll into an 11 inch circle.
- Place the dough in a 9 inch pie plate. Roll up the edges and crimp with your fingers or fork. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork a few times. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Place a large circle of parchment paper in the center of the chilled crust, and fill with a pound of dried beans (you can reuse them for this purpose again and again).
- Bake for 15 minutes with the beans in. Remove from the oven, take out the beans parchment paper, and bake again for about 10 minutes, or until the center starts to turn golden brown.
You can click HERE to download these free printable recipe cards for the pie and pie crust!
Here are some other ideas from JosieJones & Co. that I love!DIY Recipe Plate – HERE